In the 1700s, horses and wooden-wheeled conveyances were as much a part of the urban landscape as homes, shops and taverns. Consequently, residential lots in Williamsburg typically included a stable. The Alexander Purdie Stable is an outbuilding behind the Alexander Purdie House, which serves today as the east wing of the King’s Arms Tavern. The Purdie Stable is an example of a small stable that served the transportation needs of a private individual and his family.
In 18th Century Williamsburg, it was not uncommon to find women managing the small retail shops and eateries. Our accessory depicts the latest delivery of freshly roasted coffee bean. Costumes are meticulously detailed as they were in past.
This welcome addition to our collection depicts one of the most popular attractions at present day Colonial Williamsburg.
Young men and women portray the Fifers and Drummers of centuries ago.
Today, kids join at waiting list as babies to be included in this very talented, exclusive group.
The George Wythe House on Palace Green belonged to George Wythe, a delegate to the Continental Congress, and Virginia’s first signer of the Declaration of Independence. The house also served as General George Washington's headquarters just before the British siege of Yorktown, and French General Rochambeau made the home his headquarters after victory at Yorktown. In 1776, the house accommodated Virginia General Assembly delegate Thomas Jefferson and his family.
The Printing Office and Post Office, on Duke of Gloucester Street, served as the town’s communication hub. William Parks was the public printer of Virginia, charged with the job of reproducing the acts of the General Assembly. In 1736, Parks founded the Virginia Gazette, the first newspaper in the colony. Besides his printing business, Parks’ shop served as a stationer's, a post office, an advertising agency, an office supply shop, a newsstand, and a bookbindery. Today, Colonial Williamsburg’s Printing Office, Post Office, and Bookbindery complex keeps alive the traditions of the colonial craftsmen.
The newest building to be reconstructed in Colonial Williamsburg.
Careful research was followed to assure the building was recreated to be exactly the way the original was. Builders even used the original foundation that was carefully excavated on the property. Completed in late 2009, R. Charlton's Coffeehouse is a popular attraction for visitors to Williamsburg.
From the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation Web-site
English coffeehouses appeared in the 17th century and quickly became popular. These establishments provided patrons with new beverages such as coffee, tea, and chocolate. Even more importantly, coffeehouses served as sites for the energetic discussion of politics, news, and business. Despite Williamsburg’s relatively small size, locals sought to emulate the cosmopolitan fashions of Europe, which included this coffeehouse culture.
In the early 1760s, Richard Charlton, a local wigmaker, became proprietor of a newly converted coffeehouse near the Capitol. During the ten years the coffeehouse was open, many important political figures frequented its rooms, including George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, and Lieutenant-Governor Francis Fauquier, as well as many merchants and gentry.